Saturday, November 29, 2008

Beginning of the season

After yesterday's events (Wal-Mart stampede causing an employee's death; and Toys R Us shooting causing 2 more)- my shopping buzz that has been programmed into me for the holiday season has really hit a downer. I can understand the thrill of the chase, and the retail therapy high that is achieved when you feel as if you have scored a deal while buying the "perfect" gift for someone. However, when it comes to such savage acts to achieve ones goals - the thrill of the victory is cut short. This is one of the few reasons why I start my holiday shopping early, and also why I choose not to do the before-the-break-of-dawn-black-Friday-shop-a-thons.

I don't like to feel disappointed. I hate the feeling of going to a store, wiggling my way through the crowds, finding the item I want - only to not find the right size and the sale is now over. That just frustrates and exhausts me. This has happened to me before, thus I choose not to over-stress myself anymore and I choose to avoid the Friday shopping frenzy.

I have found the cure for my need for retail therapy following Thanksgiving, however. To curb my desire to shop and spend money, I have found the best places to spend is at the hairdresser's and grocery store! Yesterday I spent almost 2 hours getting cut and colored. I was only 1 of 2 customers during this time. Last night, we hit the grocery store after dinner. There were only about 5 cars total in the lot. I got to spend money and achieve satisfaction stress-free.

Now the stress is going to resume today as we prepare to head up to Stillwater for the final game of the season - BEDLAM! Time to pack up the younger two for Aunt Kelly's house, don my silky long johns, and bring a warm blanket for snuggling in. My nose and toes will be cold, but I'm sure the fever of the game will keep me going. Go OU! and go OSU too!!!

No comments: